
June 4, 2008
6:45am: It was a typical Wednesday. I slowly rolled out of bed. I took a quick shower. I got ready for work, and thought to myself, "I really just want to work from home today." I decided instead that I would go into the office as I had been working from home Monday and Tuesday already due to Pink eye.
7:15am: It was a typical drive. I drove the 2 miles from home to Camden to take San Tomas Expressway all the way into work.
7:45am: I'm passing Homestead and thinking to myself, "15 minutes, I'm almost to work, and I'll have just enough time to get my computer up and running before my 8am meeting." I kid you not... I actually thought this.
7:50am: I'm about to cross Walsh Blvd
7:53am: I have a green light on San Tomas, and am about to cross Scott Blvd. I see a tomato colored red truck crossing the intersection. They have a red light. Not wanting to be T-boned by the truck while I'm driving at 50 miles per hour I slam on my breaks. Screeching followed by a loud crash of metal on metal, and I watch this red truck spinning in circles and ultimately hitting the stopped cars to the left of me so hard that they strike my car sitting in the fast lane. My foot planted firmly on the break, and my hands on the steering wheel I brace myself for the worst.
7:55am: I try to get out of the car. The driver side door won't open, there's a car pinned up against it. I look down only to see a steaming engine, and decide that it would be best that I get out of the car as quickly as possible. I exit out the passenger side door still shaking after the crash. The lady's car next to me is still steaming, and antifreeze is streaming underneath my car. I walk over, and calmly suggest that someone turn off her engine.
7:56am: A police car drives up, and then another and another and a fire truck and a couple of ambulences. The lady in the car next to me was distraught as she suffered the biggest blow.
6:45am: It was a typical Wednesday. I slowly rolled out of bed. I took a quick shower. I got ready for work, and thought to myself, "I really just want to work from home today." I decided instead that I would go into the office as I had been working from home Monday and Tuesday already due to Pink eye.
7:15am: It was a typical drive. I drove the 2 miles from home to Camden to take San Tomas Expressway all the way into work.
7:45am: I'm passing Homestead and thinking to myself, "15 minutes, I'm almost to work, and I'll have just enough time to get my computer up and running before my 8am meeting." I kid you not... I actually thought this.
7:50am: I'm about to cross Walsh Blvd
7:53am: I have a green light on San Tomas, and am about to cross Scott Blvd. I see a tomato colored red truck crossing the intersection. They have a red light. Not wanting to be T-boned by the truck while I'm driving at 50 miles per hour I slam on my breaks. Screeching followed by a loud crash of metal on metal, and I watch this red truck spinning in circles and ultimately hitting the stopped cars to the left of me so hard that they strike my car sitting in the fast lane. My foot planted firmly on the break, and my hands on the steering wheel I brace myself for the worst.
7:55am: I try to get out of the car. The driver side door won't open, there's a car pinned up against it. I look down only to see a steaming engine, and decide that it would be best that I get out of the car as quickly as possible. I exit out the passenger side door still shaking after the crash. The lady's car next to me is still steaming, and antifreeze is streaming underneath my car. I walk over, and calmly suggest that someone turn off her engine.
7:56am: A police car drives up, and then another and another and a fire truck and a couple of ambulences. The lady in the car next to me was distraught as she suffered the biggest blow.
At first I only thought that it was 5 cars involved in the accident, but it turned out that there were a total of 7. Of the bits and pieces that I know, the guy in the red truck was being chased by another guy in a Thunderbird. At the stoplight on Scott Blvd, the guy in the Thunderbird, got out of his car dressed in shorts and a T-shirt and barefoot and started running in the middle of the street toward the guys in the red truck waving what looked like a long metal object... possibly a crowbar. The guy in the red truck freaked out and decided his best course of action is to run the red light and chance the oncoming traffic on San Tomas... during rush hour... His car was then struck by a Camary and a tiny 70's hatchback and spun around in a circle and hit everyone else. Lucky me, I was the one in the left lane thinking that I didn't want to be the one that he t-boned on the way across the intersection.The poor lady in the car next to me had to be taken to the hospital as well as the driver of the red truck. I think they both had neck injuries from the looks of things, but there was no blood ... just a lot of antifreeze. It was scary. It could have been so much worse, but everyone ended up being okay... with the exception of a bunch of cars being banged up and broken.
No comments:
Post a Comment